I finished watching the debate. I would have liked President Obama to be more agressive. That being said, I would have liked Governor Romney to tell the truth a bit more and smirk less. That being said, I believe that I am not alone in the fact that my mind was made up before I watched the debate. My mind was made up before the convention. I will be voting for President Obama and here are thirteen reasons why.
1) My neighbor, a soldier, came home from Iraq and won't have to go back. President Obama, as he promised, ended the war in Iraq.
2) My husband's student, a young gay man, can realize his dream of attending the United States Naval Academy since Don't Ask, Don't Tell has been reprieved.
3) President Obama appointed two women to serve on the US Supreme Court. Now at least there are three women who will be looking at womens issues instead of one or two.
4) President Obama is against a personhood amendment that will make IVF illegal.
5) President Obama puts the United States and the welfare of same above the welfare of Isreal. I say this as a Jewish woman who is committed to the welfare of Isreal. That being said, I never want to hear my President say he'll go to war to protect Isreal. The anti-semitism that would result from such an action makes me shudder.
6) President Obama proposed an excellent jobs plan that was voted down by the Republican congress who voted against everything he proposed no matter if it was good for the country or not.
7) President Obama inheirited a horrific economy and somehow we're not totally effed up. In fact we're getting back to where we need to be.
8) Due to the affordable care act, my niece can remain on my sister-in-law and brother's health plan after college until she finds a job.
9) Due to Obamacare, being a woman doesn't have to be a preexisting condition.
10) Thanks to Obamacare, my husband, the diabetic, doesn't have to worry about having a preexisting condition.
11) Thanks to Obamacare, my friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 39, doesn't have to worrry that there will be a cap on her insurance.
12) I like the fact that people of color can see that anyone can be president--it doesn't matter what your skin color is.
13) I believe that he cares about me, my family, and this country.
Next week, thirteen reasons why I won't vote for Governor Romney.